Can we really change our health outcomes through what we eat? Although genetics play a part in our health, a surprisingly large percentage is left free for us to change our destiny through what we eat, and how we live our lives, especially if you want to feel young again. In cancer prevention, almost 70% is down to environmental factors such as drinking, smoking, diet or exposure to pollution or radiation. It’s liberating to know that we have a huge degree of choice in how our health might turn out in later life. Why not eat yourself young?
When it comes to turning back the clock making yourself young, having a better functioning body with the right nutrients available helps keep us in great shape physically and mentally. When we feel and look younger it gives us resilience and stamina not so say confidence and a joy for living. When we have all these factors in place we can have better and happier working lives, and get home and have energy to spare for the kids.
When it comes to turning back the clock – think about these five key areas:
- Balance energy by balancing your blood sugar! Fluctuating blood sugar will causes crashes in energy and if you are not eating for energy, too much insulin in your system, health problems eventually contributing to high cholesterol, high triglycerides, increased appetite, obesity, the risk of contributing to an exacerbating type 2 diabetes. Depressed from that news? Remember you can take your health in your own hands instantly! Eat real, whole foods with a low Glycaemic index.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – don’t drink too much water (masses will flush out vital minerals) but enough is important. Check out water-for-health.co.uk for alkaline water
- Look after your liver. Your liver is where your body detoxifies toxins. Obviously too much alcohol is not a top idea if you are trying to take care of your liver, so moderation is the key.
Keep your liver in top notch condition by considering juicing once in a while.
- Apples – 2 medium
- Beet Root – 1 beet
- Carrots – 4 medium
- Celery – 3 stalk, large (11″-12″ long)
- Cucumber – 1/2 cucumber (8-1/4″)
- Ginger Root – 1/2 thumb (1″ dia)
Put through your juicer and enjoy – Why not try a Sage juicer? I am loving mine, not too expensive and KEY , it is not too difficult to clean.
- Get enough fibre in the diet. I love using a little ground pumpkin, sunflower and flaxseed in my juice or in the morning (if I have porridge). Fibre helps escort toxins and old hormones out of the body through the bowel. Elimination is key (enough said)
- Fish is good for the brain! And the skin health and a whole lot of other things including good hormone function. I am a fan of krill oil, which maybe more absorbable than ordinary fish oil and doesn’t have the unpleasant “burp-back” reaction.
- BONUS: Stress ages us (it makes the cells, the individual building blocks of the body, brittle. It makes us reach for Anti-nutrients eg. alcohol and cigarettes which has a massive aging impact on the body.